This delicious recipe is deceptively simple: you can make it in your crock pot with ingredients you already have on hand. Boise Brewing’s Black Cliffs American Stout and our Abilene Depot Salt & Pepper Upgrade Seasoning Blend combine for an earthy, warm and complex flavor.
Smoked sea salt, fennel and coriander from Abilene pair with notes of rich chocolate and coffee tones in Black Cliffs to impart a roasty, slightly sweet flavor to our lamb shanks. Don’t forget to save a little beer to drink with your meal!
Craft Beer-Braised Lamb Shanks in the Crock Pot
Prep Time: 15 minutes Cook Time: 4-6 hours Yields: 2 lamb shanks
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 2 lamb shanks
- 1 onion, sliced
- 3 celery ribs, chopped
- 5 cloves garlic, peeled and smashed
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 bottle Boise Brewing Black Cliffs American Stout
- 2 cups water
- Abilene Depot Salt & Pepper Upgrade Seasoning Blend
- Rub each lamb shank with 1/2 teaspoon of oil and season liberally with Abilene Depot seasoning. Massage seasoning and oil into meat, covering every surface.
- Heat oil in a heavy skillet over medium-high heat until the oil begins to shimmer.
- Brown the lamb shanks on every side until golden brown (about 2 minutes per side).
- Set lamb shanks aside. Pour all but 2 tablespoons of grease from the skillet.
- Stir in the sliced onions and chopped celery and cook over medium heat until soft and fragrant, about 5 minutes.
- Add the smashed garlic and cook until fragrant, about 1-2 minutes.
- Add tomato paste and stir until combined with the aromatic vegetables. Cook for 5 minutes more over medium heat.
- While the vegetables cook, mix 1 tablespoon Abilene Depot seasoning with 2 cups of warm water. Pour into crock pot, set crock pot to high, and place lamb shanks in crock pot.
- Pour the Boise Brewing Black Cliffs American Stout into the skillet with the vegetable mixture, scraping all of the browned bits from the bottom of the pan. Bring to a simmer.
- Pour warm beer mixture over lamb shanks in crock pot.
- Cook on high for 4-6 hours, or until lamb shanks are tender.
- Serve with jus and season with Abilene to taste over mashed potatoes or roasted veggies. Pour yourself a glass of Black Cliffs and enjoy!
- Can't get Boise Brewing beers in your area? Try your favorite American Stout style beer instead.
We love history, old movies, exploring the outdoors, and of course -- cooking together. Our faithful pups, Mila and Eva, are always ready to clean up any morsels that accidentally tumble from the kitchen counter.