Who says carrots have to be eaten raw or steamed? Something magical happens when you combine vegetables and a grill. This grilled carrots recipe makes a perfect (and healthy) side dish for steaks, roasts, and burgers. Coconut oil and our Abilene Depot Steak & Burger Seasoning lend a fresh, nutty flavor and help to crisp up the outside of the carrots, leaving the inside deliciously sweet.
Grilled Carrots: An Easy & Delicious Side Dish
Today at lunch, I was looking through our fridge for leftovers. We had some delicious leftover beef sirloin tip roast, but no veggies left over to pair with it. Rummaging through the crisper, I spied a bag of carrots.
We've been using our Traeger wood pellet grill a lot lately, and I love the smoky flavor it imparts to all kinds of different foods. It adds a great twist, especially to veggies. I remembered the time we roasted radishes on the grill... complete bliss! I thought I'd try the same technique with our humble carrots.
The result: A deliciously crispy, smoky-caramelized treat with a firm sweet inside. Give it a try for yourself!
Smoky Grilled/Roasted Carrots Recipe
Prep Time: 5 minutes Cook Time: 15 minutes Yields: 8 carrots
- 8 medium carrots
- 1/4 cup coconut oil *
- 2 Tablespoons Abilene Depot Steak & Burger Seasoning
- Preheat your grill to about 400 degrees (or a medium flame). **
- Meanwhile, melt the coconut oil in a small bowl.
- Stir the Abilene Depot seasoning into the coconut oil and set aside.
- Wash and peel the carrots. If the green tops are still attached, cut the tops to about 2 inches in length.
- Brush the coconut oil mixture on the carrots, coating evenly.
- Place the carrots on the grill, and cook for 25-30 minutes, turning halfway through cooking. Serve with your choice of entree. Enjoy!
* You may substitute olive oil, avocado oil, or butter for the coconut oil to change up the flavor or if you don't have coconut oil.
** If you don't have a BBQ grill, feel free to use a cast iron grill pan on the stovetop.
We love history, old movies, exploring the outdoors, and of course -- cooking together. Our faithful pups, Mila and Eva, are always ready to clean up any morsels that accidentally tumble from the kitchen counter.